RE: [OM] OM Owner Emeritus

Subject: RE: [OM] OM Owner Emeritus
From: "Tom Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 00:46:33 -0400
On Monday, August 12, 2002 at 20:57, Larry J. Clark
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "RE: [OM] OM Owner Emeritus" saying:

> I did the comparison side-by-side (I did have 2 Om bodies and 14 or 15
> lenses to choose from).
>
> Sorry, but the OM system didn't win in the real world.  The C/V 75mm is
> a little bit longer, but the 50mm, 35mm, 21mm, and 15mm are all smaller,
> and pack better, as do the R2 bodies.  Camera body weight is too close
> to make a difference, and the two finders I need (only one if you know
> what you're doing) only weigh a few ounces each.

A toss-up. Not bad, considering the OM WA lenses have to be retrofocus.
How do the 28/2 and 35/2 lenses compare? The V lenses look big at
http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtlen.htm

Where are the fisheyes?

Why didn't you get a Leica IIIb to go with the screwmount V lenses.
Then you would have a smaller camera with an improved rangefinder
because of the magnification. If you got the 50/3.5 collapsing Elmar,
it would be smaller still. I wish mine hadn't been stolen in Berkeley
33 years ago...very pocketable. Too pocketable... There's even one on
ebay right now, 1371769542  No meter, though.

> The "thickness with lens" figure you cite must be for some lens I don't
> have, because (again) the mounted 75mm is the only one that comes close.
> Flange to hood on the 21/35/50 lenses is only 32mm.  If you include your
> OM's extra 15mm (for the mirror box?) you only have allowance for 17mm
> of lens.  How many Zuiko lenses out there are 17mm long?

Yeah, that 40/2 is way up there at 25mm & 140g, and the 21/3.5 is 31mm
& 180g   Your  21 looks narrower but deeper than the OM 21.

> The 15mm C/V is much smaller than my Tokina 17mm, and much better.

Accursed 3rd party lenses! Lets compare peaches to zucchinis!

> The 21mm is smaller than any 21mm SLR lens I've ever seen.

Yep, your 21/4 is 2mm less deep and 10mm less wide than the OM 21/3.5 -
but the OM has half a stop more light.

> I've never had a 35mm lens with the snap of the C/V 35mm f/2.5.  You
> might have been looking at the measurements of the faster 35mm and
> 50mm lenses. Remember that you don't (or at least I don't) feel the
> same need for fast lenses with RF.  The viewfinder is already bright.
>  I rarely shoot SLRs with the lens wide open -- that old rule of
> thumb about the good stuff happening one f-stop down.

We're not always in charge of the light supply.

> I had the C/V system while I had the OM system.  I reluctantly got rid
> of the OM system because it just couldn't do some very specific things.
> I would have kept both the C/V and OM systems if that need had not
> cropped up. But I'm enjoying shooting the RF so much I certainly wasn't
> going to sell that equipment off.

What are those specific things?

> As for the F100 manual...I haven't had a need to read a camera manual in
> any detail in about 25 or 30 years, until...I was taking that dang F100
> book to work to read at lunch.  Jeez.  :-0

Maybe there'll be a degree in it someday at Virginia Tech, or perhaps
you could download some Artificial Intelligence for it.

I suppose it's inevitable that you had to take Draconian measures....

Have fun, tOM

>  Paradigm Associates...
>   "Providing Complex Solutions for Simple Problems"
>      Visit our web site at:
>          http://www.twodimes.org
>      or set your navigation system to:
>          38-46.883N  77-15.818W

------- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur -----------------
   ,__@ Tom A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115
 _-\_<, 758 Albert St.,Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        ICQ:57647974 N45.412 W75.714