[OM] Macro flash survey

Subject: [OM] Macro flash survey
From: Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 10:53:26 -0400
Bob wrote:

>Anyone want to give their opinions on which macro flash is best?  T-28?
>T-10? T-8?
>
>All the work will be done on the 135/4.5, usually in the field, and the
>80/4 + f=170mm in the studio.
>
>Thanks!
>Bob

I have and use all three, but I prefer the T28 twins for most of what I do
-- bugs and flowers outdoors.  I don't normally use them on the macro flash
shoe ring, but on a contraption that produces a rough equivalent of
portrait lighting, one main light and one fill, which isn't as flat as the
ring flashes and gives more of a 3-D look.  Both my macro and flash TOPE
shots were taken with this setup.  As we all should know, that's:

http://www.millennics.com/olympus/tope/gallery.html

The T10 is the smallest and probably the handiest and easiest to use, and
it works quite well, though I find it a little flat.  And if there's
anything reflective in the shot,  you may get a donut-shaped reflection.
The ring cross polarizer is very useful in some situations, but it gobbles
up the light and makes the working distance quite short unless you use fast
film.  I seldom shoot anything but Provia 100 or Kodachrome 64, so I am
keenly aware of this.

The T8 is great for reflective stuff, even better than the T10 with the
polarizer, but because it is not a direct flash, it also has a short
working range, not much more than the T10 with the polarizer.

To sum up, I would say the T28 is the best for the 135/4.5 and working
outdoors and/or from some distance.  Either of the others will work well on
the 80/4 with or without the f=170 in the studio.

My recommendation, of course, is to get all three.  I even got an extra T
power control just for fear one might die unexpectedly.  Add a touch of
paranoia to Zuikoholism and there's no telling what you will end up with.

Walt