Re: [OM] 4000 dpi scanner recommndations?

Subject: Re: [OM] 4000 dpi scanner recommndations?
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:38:32 +0800
Hi Gary,

I myself found the Nikon software interface is ok, since the LS4000
provide ROC and GEM I have not use the Vuescan for a long time. I will
not use anything without effective auto dust removal, it is nightmare
to deal with thousands of old negatives.

Am I a Nikon scanner fan? no! but I didn't found anything better and
affordable yet. I had made a side to side comparison with Minolta scan
speed, My LS2000 has lower resolution and you need to use multiscan
otherwise you will see sawtooth edges at the high control lines. Nikon
service center can't provide any help out there. Even my LS10 had
better resolution, but on the other hand you can't beat the color
accuracy of the LS2000 and the digital IEC is indispensable.

Now I also found my LS4000 has some bug, with color negative and auto
film strap feeder, the light color sky (vertical shoot) sometimes (may
be over 50%) shown a darken banding at the edge, don't know why. May
be caused by the LED sensor light leaks. Anyone has a LS4000 found the
same?

Same as the LS2000, the LS4000 has very good color accuracy, but you
still need to do some contrast adjustment (or S curve) to increase the
contrast, the direct scan is a bit flat. The resolution of LS4000 is
very good, I would say it is enough for any professional purpose, it
is far better than the current film.

Regards,
C.H.Ling