Re: [OM] Using lenses with fungus

Subject: Re: [OM] Using lenses with fungus
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 23:02:22 -0500
I am led to believe that some fungus can, after a time actually etch the glass. How it does this baffles me - but then I am not a biochemist. Apparently some emit acidic matter and this actually pits the glass over a long period. People that are into old telescopes, binocular and other optics are familiar with this. I would imagine though that in this state most lenses would be well beyond economic repair.

Cheers
Lee