Re: [OM] 4000 dpi scanner recommndations?

Subject: Re: [OM] 4000 dpi scanner recommndations?
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 23:45:14 +0800
Vuescan is a very slow, at 4000dpi even without ICE the post processing time
is almost same as the hardware scanning time, it is not an option for
scanner
speed comparison. But anyway below is the speed test data:

At 24 bit 4000dpi, file size 58.6MB due to auto cropping applied.

No ICE - 1 min 25 sec (Nikon original s/w 52sec with auto exp.)
W/ ICE medium cleaning - 2 min 30 sec. (Nikon original s/w 1 min 46 sec with
auto exp.)

In both case the hardware scanning time of Vuescan is around 48 sec.

In the pass I only use Vuescan for difficult negatives (Fuji Reala, Kodak
Ektarcolor Pro 160 or old faded neg.), now with the Nikon's ROC, I don't
need it anymore. For slides and good negatives (like Kodak Supra 100, Gold
100 or Fuji Superia 100 to 400) the result is very good with no ROC.

C.H.Ling