Re: [OM] Macro flash survey

Subject: Re: [OM] Macro flash survey
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 14:03:33 -0500
At 08:39 8/13/02, Bob Gries wrote:
Anyone want to give their opinions on which macro flash is best?  T-28?
T-10? T-8?

All the work will be done on the 135/4.5, usually in the field, and the
80/4 + f=170mm in the studio.

Thanks!
Bob

Bob, I've found direct flash can be very "flat" looking, although it's not difficult to envision situations in which ring or front lens ring mounted flash heads may be the the only method to provide light on the subject material.

My setup now uses one or more lower powered studio lights and 32" shoot-through white umbrellas on stands. These can be adjusted for lighting angles and relative power levels to provide greater dimensional shadowing. These are the "pros" that I'm exploiting using this method. The "cons" are the time it takes to set up light stands, strobe heads. In addition it imposes the complexity of flash metering, compensating exposure for lens extension (or magnification) and adjusting strobe power levels.

As an alternative between the two, one could do the same thing under TTL control by mounting a T-series flash (or compatible Metz, Sunpak, etc., with appropriate TTL module). It requires placing it on a light stand and running a longer cord to the OM body for TTL control.

-- John