RE: [OM] Red-eye [was: Macro flash survey]

Subject: RE: [OM] Red-eye [was: Macro flash survey]
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:06:52 -0600
> And it's a variable angle as well.  It's affected by the direction the
> person is looking in addition to how dilated the pupil(s) are.

 Oh, duh, of course -- thus the pre-photo red-eye-reduction flickering flash
thing that some cameras do.

> Both the extremely dim lighting and the alcohol can
> dilate people's pupils until there is near zero iris left visible.

 Right, and at this point, I'd guess the pupil's probably covering about,
say, 30 degrees or so across, which is a _long_ way for the flash to be away
from the lens.

 That said, presumably it's only a problem if the flash bounces off the back
of the eye and then into the lens -- which means it matters how much the
various angles of refraction as the light goes in and out of the eye are.
And that's going to be pretty complex (wonder if it matters where the
person's focussing?)

 -- dan