Re: [OM] 4000 dpi scanner recommndations?

Subject: Re: [OM] 4000 dpi scanner recommndations?
From: Matt Crawley <matt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:13:56 -0600
Hi Everyone.

wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
SNIP
> I was on a very good scanner list for a while and
> calibration seems to be the holy, but unattainable, grail.

I've been working in Photoshop professionally for almost 10 years and I
totally agree with the above statement. There are sooooooo many variables -
like time of day, ambient light, etc.

SNIP
> The simple solution of some highly respected people on the list is to use
> Epson's own print software in the advanced settings to make a custom setting
> that will best approximate what you see on the screen.

This works but is still affected by variables...

For me I don't even bother with calibration anymore and just refer the
numeric values in the "info" palette. After 1 or 2 test prints on any given
printer I can get a good idea as to what a specific numeric value prints
like and then I just adjust the image to get the numbers I want.

This is actually a quite common practice in the graphics world where you
deal with many types of printing presses and papers.

One thing that REALLY annoys me about Epson is that you cannot print
directly in CMYK. The stupid software converts the CMYK photo to RGB and
then converts BACK to CMYK to print!

 - Matt Crawley