Re: [OM] flash trigger voltage

Subject: Re: [OM] flash trigger voltage
From: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 13:57:47 +0100
On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 17:57:50 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
<williams@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Trigger voltage has fallen over the years. In those days when flash contacts
>were a simple mechanical switch, the trigger voltage wasn't too important --
>most switch contacts could handle two or three hundred volts without damage.

Hi William,

I assume your posting is indirectly in response to my comments about
Olympus Europe earlier.

Apparently Olympus America has explicitly told users that the E-10
will work with *any* flashgun, regardless of trigger voltage,  without
damage.  Why Olympus Europe does not have the same hymn sheet, I do
not know!   I really wanted a response directly so that if I did have
problems, I could refer back to them.

Nevertheless I too am wary about high voltage triggers so I propose to
make my own little adapter with a couple of transistors to enable this
flash to trigger at low volts. The Wein adapter does not seem to
figure over here in the UK (unless someone knows where?).

I still have a couple of OM1's and a Bronica ETRS that have mechanical
contacts anyway. I also have a Metz 45CT4 that does have a low voltage
trigger but it's not the most portable of units!

Thanks for the thoughts.

Regards

John Gruffydd (Mold, Wales, UK)