[OM] Soligor 500mm Mirror lens question

Subject: [OM] Soligor 500mm Mirror lens question
From: "Curtis P. Hedman" <Curtis.P.Hedman-1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 14:36:05 -0500
A question for the list...

I just picked up a used Soligor C/D Mirror 500mm lens at a decent price at a clearance sale. The lens is very clean, but I have noticed one odd thing about it, so I thought I'd ask the list to see if anyone else has any experience with this lens....

Anyway, when I mount the lens on my OM-2S, it turns out that the focus index mark is on the BOTTOM of the lens, as opposed to the top like every other lens I've ever owned! The red dot and release button on the mount are where they should be, and everything works fine (i.e. infinity focus), but I find this pretty odd. I suppose it is not impossible for the mount to have been incorrectly positioned relative to the lens during assembly, and since there is no aperture coupling to worry about...

I bought this lens more or less just to have one to try and play around with, so this little issue doesn't bother me - I'm just curious as to this is normal for this particular lens! I'm finding just how hard it is to hold a 500mm lens steady (I've reverted to using a tripod), but the perspective compression is kind of neat!

Curt