Re: [OM] OM-PC/OM40 quality

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-PC/OM40 quality
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 13:25:51 -0700
I've had a sort of opposite experience. I bought an OM-PC listed as a parts camera and found that all it needed was proper batteries. So I bought another parts body, with the same results. I finally bought one that didn't work - odd to get excited about that - and fixed up the one this all started about. So now I have OM-PCs to back up OM-PCs. I haven't even managed to run a roll of film through them all yet.

Add a spot meter and this could be my favorite OM. I think its biggest flaw, along with other electronic OMs, is a battery test function that doesn't load the battery sufficiently to actually tell whether it will operate the shutter. An awful lot of double digit, and I'll bet even single digit, OMs have been sold as non functional because the mirror locked up but the battery check read 'good'.

The thing I love about the plastic top and bottom plates on the OM-PC is that they have a copper/brass colored finish under the black paint, so they 'brass' very nicely with wear.

Moose - Use only Eveready 376s!

Winsor Crosby wrote:

I wonder if John Hermanson or other repair people could comment on the
longevity and quality of the OM-PC. Is it as well constructed as the 2,
3, or 4s?

tOM

They have a reputation for sudden electronic failure. The plastic top and bottom plates are not reassuring. The rubber cladding is nice if it fits. Nice cameras to use though.