Re: [OM] Why an eyecup?

Subject: Re: [OM] Why an eyecup?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 15:10:21 -0700
At 08:05 PM 8/17/2002 +0000, you wrote:
Not having seen one in person, I'm wondering if I should buy
an eyecup for my OM-4Ti before they disappear.  Help me under-
stand the purpose of it.  The OM-4Ti comes with a plastic eye-
cup.  Is the Eyecup 2 made of rubber, to protect your eyebrow?
Is it a safe assumption that an Eyecup 2 has clear glass in
the viewfinder (no correction)?  What's the difference between
an Eyecup 1 and Eyecup 2?

Can't answer all your questions, but the basic purpose of an eyecup
comes from the days when viewfinders weren't very bright, and TTL
metering read off the prism (or some variant thereabouts).  The
eyecup cut down on incidental light, allowing the viewfinder image
to be somewhat brighter, and it also helped prevent meter errors.

According to my e-SIF, the Eyecup One was for anyone who didn't wear
glasses (or didn't want to wear glasses while taking a picture), and
the Eyecup Two was specifically designed to minimize risk of damage
to people's eyeglasses.  Both took a large range of diopter
correction lens inserts, but the One appears to have had extra
extensions designed so that it could also be used with the slightly
thicker 250 exposure filmback.

Garth

If I can add a couple of things.  The eyecup one is large, round and
easily knocked off especially when opening the back of the camera.
That is one reason people are always asking about them and discussing
ways of permanently affixing them.  Lost mine too. However because of
the deep flare they seem give much better protection from stray light
for the vulnerable metering system on an OM1/2. The Eyecup 2 is more
of a flattish, rectangular rubber donut with the bottom side bitten
out. The logic is, I guess, that you do not need protection from
light from your feet and you can open the film back without pushing
it out of the way or more importantly close it without catching it.
Well, I suppose that your cheek will block reflection if you are
standing in sunlit snow, desert sand or sparkling water.  :-)
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?