Re: [OM] 4000 dpi scanner recommndations?

Subject: Re: [OM] 4000 dpi scanner recommndations?
From: w shumaker <rlist@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 09:50:49 -0400
At 12:58 AM 8/19/2002, tOM-- wrote:
>On Wednesday, August 14, 2002 at 10:11, w shumaker
><olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>wrote re "Re: [OM] 4000 dpi scanner recommnda" saying:
>
>> I can't say I have experience with the LS-4000, but I have used the
>> LS-2000 for a while. The new nikon scan software is nice in many ways,
>> with a combined curve and histogram adjustment control that I like
>> better than photoshop 7. I have a 1.9Ghz P4 with 1g of memory and the
>> auto slide feeder on the ls2000. When batch scanning, I can't do
>> anything what so ever on that machine or I risk crashing nikonscan. The
>> latest version is much better than previous versions. When it works, it
>> is great, but it is sensitive.
>
>Which version of Windoze?
>2000 & XP handle multi-processing much better than ME or 9x.

Windahs 2000 with latest SP. Mind you, I can sometimes go 74 slides in
two batches, no problem. Other times it will go 7 slides and quit. The
only pattern I have seen is that doing anything on the machine
increases the probability that it will crash, multi-tasking or not. You
can even hear the scanner stop and start if you use any significant
amount of CPU. The previous version of Nikon Scan 3.0.? was even worse.
3 slides in a row was rare. Mind you, I like the Nikon scan software
for what it allows me to do, I just wish it was not so sensitive.

Back in the olden days, when I programmed on a microVax, the
multi-tasking feature made it real difficult to control anything real
time. Even DOS was better that VMS. It seems to me that the NikonScan
software is pretty directly controlling the hardware. So, I have my
suspicions....

Wayne