[OM] OT] ASDA

Subject: [OM] OT] ASDA
From: Brian Gray <bandvg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 16:59:21 +0100
john oregan wrote

John Hudson
Vancouver, BC
asked>>>>>>>
ps: on recent trip to the UK I saw that Walmart is operating under the
name "ASDA" ......... any idea why Sam Walton's legacy is hiding its
real identity?

ASDA is one of the UKs larger supermarket chains. It was formed some years
ago by Associated Dairies. It was bought by Walmart a year or two ago. I've
never been in one, but I believe it is at the lower end of the quality
scale.
I have not been in an ASDA for a while but they have been around north west England for quite a long time, over 25 years and certainly since before Tesco or Sainsbury put in an appearance. We used to go to an ASDA when we were passing on our way to visit relatives and I remember the first Tesco superstore in the region opening in 1976, but not in a particularly convenient place for us. At a guess it is a more popular brand name in the UK than Walmart although I have found Walmart cheap and cheerful in the USA (and even had films processed by them when on holiday and they were the local corner shop in Edgewater)
Brian