Re: [OM] Flying in the US (film and security)

Subject: Re: [OM] Flying in the US (film and security)
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:37:15 -0700
-snip

We'll be flying from San Jose, CA to Dulles airport in DC. As far as I know,
we won't need to pass through security checkpoints anywhere else (when
changing planes one usually doesn't). If I opt to carry film, what are my
chances of getting my film hand checked at these two airports? Also, can
someone forward me the link to the FAA paper that helps persuade them just
in case?

My original plan was to have my film shipped from B&H (my normal Provia F
supplier now) directly to a club member in the DC area who can bring it to
me at the event. This person is also helping me find a semi-local E-6 lab to
get the first couple day's film processed at, and will FedEx me slides from
the rest. This has been arranged already. However, in thinking about this
some more...won't it look odd if I am bringing a Lowe-Pro Mini Trekker full
of film gear and no film???? (I'll also be carrying a Lowe-Pro Orion bag
full of E-10 digital stuff.) Should I just bring my film back and forth
after all and ask for a hand check (and present the letter if required)?

-snip

TIA for any BTFT (been there flown that) advice!

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com

I flew in March internationally, but came back through Miami to L.A. Most of the time I had no problems getting hand inspection. Twice, having fast film in the clear zip bags(film in clear canisters) I was refused until I pointed out that it was fast, professional film. I would recommend that you get two or three rolls of 1600+ ISO film to add to the mix. I was treated to one episode of slowly opening each canister, pulling the cassette out, studying the label and putting it back in the canister for each roll. Next time I will probably eliminate the canister. The big "ISO 1600" shows up better then. No one looked at my camera or lens, that trip. My shoes were Xrayed twice and I was carefully frisked. I am really dangerous looking I guess. :-)
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. It is conceded that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced or displaced.