RE: [OM] Help! How do I shoot a wedding?

Subject: RE: [OM] Help! How do I shoot a wedding?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 16:29:57 -0700 (PDT)
That reminds me, that I've got a big wedding shoot coming up
next month.

Based on the advice of a fellow listmember (and a generous gent
he is), I did some further experimenting with Portra VC (instead
of my normal NC) and have converted over to it for wedding and
portrait work.  Seems that my dull, lifeless, single-coated
lenses needed the increased horsepower of VC.  Actually, it
really helped the backgrounds warm up.  NC backgrounds proved to
be a bit cool. Otherwise, absolutely no apparent difference when
shot at a particular ISO setting.

Primary 35mm wedding kit (client didn't want to pay the extra
I'd charge for medium format):
Two OM bodies:
-One loaded with Ilford Delta
-One loaded with Portra VC (either 160 or 400 depending on
formals or ceremony)

One Stroboframe mounted flash on one body and a radio triggered
studio flash/umbrella floating between the two bodies.  Nearly
all flash shots will be metered and in manual mode.

Lenses:
24/2.8 and 35/2.8 used for church interior shots during
ceremony, a 50/3.5 for group formals, a 100/2.8 for formals (my
hubbahubba lens), and a 200/4 if absolutely necessary but highly
unlikely.  The 200/4 might come in handy for an outdoor formal,
but otherwise serves little purpose in wedding work.

I'll keep the IS-3 handy (just in case) with it's G40 flash.
This will be locked and loaded with Portra 400VC and stuck on
Aperture Priority mode (F8 and be there).

Based on recent experience I'll be using the monopod quite a
bit.  The monopod has proven to be the biggest assistance to
sharp images (even with flash where the ambient light level is
high) that I've come across.

Anyhoo, I'll pack five rolls of 160, five of 400 and a couple
rolls of Delta 400.  Based on past experience, I'll shoot the
better part of three rolls of the 160, two of the 400 and a roll
of the B&W.

The camera setups rarely change during a wedding shoot.  Only on
rare occasion will I switch lenses (or bodies), but generally
use a single body and lens for 750f the shots.

Hmm. I could ALMOST make it over to Ireland this weekend!  One
can wish, can't he?  Hey, where is Giles?  There is also
somebody in Dublin.

AG Schnozz