[OM] Flying in the US (film and security)

Subject: [OM] Flying in the US (film and security)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 20:52:25 -0400
Mike said:
My original plan was to have my film shipped from B&H (my normal Provia
F supplier now) directly to a club member in the DC area who can bring
it to me at the event. This person is also helping me find a semi-local
E-6 lab to get the first couple day's film processed at, and will FedEx
me slides from the rest. This has been arranged already.
---------------------------
Hi Mike,
I'm sure your friend would have warned you already if it was necessary
but I did a double take when I saw that you are intending to mail your
film into the DC area.  My wife works as a paralegal for a local patent
law firm and patent applications that used to go to the Patent Office's
DC address now have to be sent to a suburban Virginia address.  The
Patent Office's mailing address was in one of the areas chosen for
irradiation after the anthrax events.  There were numerous instances of
patent applications being nearly burned to a crisp.  She brought one
home for me to see and it was not a pretty sight... a 1/4" thick stack
of paper that was a light brown color all around the edges as though
exposed to extremely high heat and so fragile as to be practically
falling apart.  No problems since moving the mail drop to the Virginia
address but you sure wouldn't want your film to go anywhere near one of
those irradiators.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA