Re: [OM] Flashes (was: Help! How do I shoot a wedding?)

Subject: Re: [OM] Flashes (was: Help! How do I shoot a wedding?)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 00:10:37 -0500
At 18:53 8/20/02, Pete inquired:
All this talk of indoor wedding shooting makes me curious.
What is the brightest flash currently available new?  I am
aware of the T45, but they are not common anymore.  Is the
T32 the brightest flash still available new, even including
aftermarket flashes?

Pete

Most powerful electronic camera-mounted flash I'm aware of (that's commercially made and sold; i.e. not a custom or home-made one) is the Metz 60 CT-1 and 60 CT-4. The Sunpak 622 Super Pro runs a very close second. Both are rated with a GN of 60 in meters or 197 in feet for ISO 100 film. The Metz requires a "slab" to power it. OTOH, the Sunpak can be powered by four "C" cells in a battery holder that mounts to the front of the flash handle. Not too many flashes at full dump to be had from a set of batteries though, and recharge time is lengthy. Sunpak also has a high voltage slab for it that can recharge the flash very quickly and gives it much greater capacity (more frames before battery change).

-- John