Re: [OM] Quick Polarizer question

Subject: Re: [OM] Quick Polarizer question
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:21:48 -0700
The OMPC requires a circular polarizer for accurate exposure display. I think regular Auto and Program modes will give correct actual exposure OTF. I'm not sure just how ESP metering works, but if it sets the exposure based on the reading through the mirror, it could give inaccurate exposures with a linear polarizer.

The manual is not clear on this point. It says "As soon as you fire the shutter, the camera will measure the light intensity in both the center of the frame and the outer area separately. The micro computer then......" Does this mean before or after the mirror goes up? The manual does refer to the 2 modes as "ESP metering" and "TTL Direct 'OTF' Light Measuring", implying that ESP is not OTF. Maybe the writer didn't know either, and hedged his/her bets. In any case, ESP and OTF are never used together in the manual.

Moose

Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

How about the OM-PC - it appears to have a 2-piece mirror.

OM-Gs do not have spot metering or semi-silvered mirrors, so
linear polarizers should work just fine in auto mode, or any
mode for that matter.