Re: [OM] advice on lens needed

Subject: Re: [OM] advice on lens needed
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 14:36:07 -0700
on 8/20/02 6:36 PM, Wayne Culberson at waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I put in the BIN on this lens, zuiko 100:2.8,
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1374990449&rd=1
> Seller says now that he has noticed a "scuff mark on the front that will
> have no effect on your photography.... but it is not pristine". He has
> offered to let me back out, or to return the lens for a full refund.
> I am looking for a couple opinions; 1. is this a reasonable price for a lens
> in that condition?  2. does front "scuffs" affect pictures or not. All my
> lenses are basically perfect on the front elements, so I have no experience
> in this?
> OK, you're asking, how bad is it? Well, that's all I know too. Picture
> doesn't seem to show anything.
> Thanks,
> Wayne

Wayne - That's a very good price for that lens... and I bet the seller
figured that out after you bought it. IMO, a 'scuff mark' on the lens,
unless is very big and very deep isn't going to affect the pictures.
Consider a large fingerprint on the front element. At the most you'll get a
slight fuzzyiness in the image. I doubt any scuff mark will be as big as a
thumbprint smack dab in the middle of the glass... and if it bothers you
after you get the lens, I suspect you can resell it, with full disclosure,
at a profit.

I say ask the seller for a few bucks off, but if he won't (probably because
he wants to relist it for more) tell the seller that "You'll take it for $75
anyway."
--

Jim Brokaw