Re: [OM] Best way to remove stuck motor drive cap on OM-2

Subject: Re: [OM] Best way to remove stuck motor drive cap on OM-2
From: derek fong <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 18:12:57 -0400
On 08.21.2002 5:49 pm, "Jim Brokaw" <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> OM-2 motor drive cover is a bayonet fitting... there are internal flanges
> and notches in the cover and camera body. On the cover you should see a
> small dimple or dot. There should be a similiar dimple or dot near the motor
> drive cover on the base of the camera. When these two dimples are aligned
> the cover flanges interlock is released. The cover and baseplate are both
> brass, so its possible that there could be corrosion sticking them together.
> If so, you will probably see some signs of blue-green corrosion around the
> cover.

Aye, there's no outward sign of corrosion, but I suspect it must be
something like that.  Either the previous owner tightened it so much that it
got stuck in this state or there's something keeping it shut (i.e., rust or
similar fun stuff).  At this point, I'm happy to just get the thing off
because the cap has already been scratched up a bit by the previous owner
and myself.  Would removing the base plate (as Moose suggested) allow me to
easily remove the cap (or aid in removing it) from the inside part of the
base plate?  My only reservation is that removing the base plate will
probably end up removing some black paint from the two screw areas.  It's
one thing to have a scratched up MD cap, but it's another to have paint
removed from the base plate...

Thanks!

-f

--
Derek Fong
Web Application Developer

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." --James Joyce