Re: [OM] Best way to remove stuck motor drive cap on OM-2

Subject: Re: [OM] Best way to remove stuck motor drive cap on OM-2
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 17:53:35 -0700
derek fong wrote:

Aye, there's no outward sign of corrosion, but I suspect it must be
something like that.  Either the previous owner tightened it so much that it
got stuck in this state or there's something keeping it shut (i.e., rust or
similar fun stuff).
Unlike a screw-in cap, it's not possible to overtighten so that it gets stuck. It hits a stop and is held tight by little machined 'springs' that are part of the cap. Serious overtightening shears off the little 'ears' of the cap that engage the bottom plate and it falls out. I wonder if this happened and a previous owner epoxied or otherwise permanantly affixed it. Impossible to tell what's going on without looking inside.

At this point, I'm happy to just get the thing off
because the cap has already been scratched up a bit by the previous owner
and myself.  Would removing the base plate (as Moose suggested) allow me to
easily remove the cap (or aid in removing it) from the inside part of the
base plate?
Yes, you can cut off the 'ears' and release it if nothing else works, or cut/chip away the glue, if that's the situation.

My only reservation is that removing the base plate will
probably end up removing some black paint from the two screw areas.  It's
one thing to have a scratched up MD cap, but it's another to have paint
removed from the base plate...

With the proper crosspoint screwdriver, the paint on the screws should not be disturbed, let alone the bottom plate paint - unless you are particularly mechanically challanged, in which case you should leave everything alone or get someone else to do it. I've done it to many black OMs without marking anything.

Moose