Re: [OM] no OMoney... (was Best way to remove stuck motor drive cap on

Subject: Re: [OM] no OMoney... (was Best way to remove stuck motor drive cap on OM-2)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 23:02:02 -0500
At 18:28 8/21/02, Jim Brokaw wrote:

Its all on credit card, and I'm thinking that most of it will get resold...
I was mostly interested in the 35-105/3.5-4.5 lens... and I *still* don't
have any money...! I'm holding off on the Tamron 1.4x you're leading on...

I bought my 35-105/3.5~4.5 with some trepidation knowing it's a 3X zoom that has 16 elements in 12 groups. That's quite a lot of glass with many air-glass interfaces. Furthermore, it has greater complexity with "one-touch" focus and zoom, with a "close-focus" mechanism. When the first slides came back that were shot through it I was pleasantly shocked at their contrast. Although it doesn't quite have the resolving power of my 50/1.2, it comes very, very close, and its high contrast does compensate for that some.

IMO, it is a marvelous zoom lens. I use it primarily as a "walk-around" lens for "editorial" type shooting that requires multiple focal lengths when using several primes is infeasible or impossible. Wish it were a constant aperture f/2.8, but I rarely use it indoors or under low light conditions outdoors.

-- John