Re: [OM] Hiking Advice [Warren]

Subject: Re: [OM] Hiking Advice [Warren]
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 23:45:51 -0500
Warren,

1) Travel *light*. If you are overloaded you are going to find yourself looking for things to toss out on the way and cursing armchair enthusiasm. Lightweight usually = "more expensive" when it comes to buying outdoor gear, but the cost is worth it later on.

2) Priority - invest in the best quality lightweight hiking boot you can afford. You will not regret even a penny later on. I would look at some of the lighter high-top Danner boots if you can find them - something like the Danner Light II or II Mountain. Boots that are cheap will bite you, have you blistered, and cursing - or lame. Boots that are too heavy will slow you down *alot*. Consider that climbing (even walking on level ground) uphill; the effort to lift your feet depends greatly on the weight of your boots. In overall fatigue, every *ounce* on your feet equals *pounds* on your back. Don't be tempted to skimp on boots. When buying boots; *try them on with the socks you'll BE WEARING on the hikes* (see socks further below). Carry spare laces.
http://www.danner.com

3) Priority - Water. Take as much as you can reasonably carry. You can drink it, pass it on (around to others if necessary) or dump it. But when and as you need it, you will curse not having enough. Go for light plastic containers found in outdoor shops that will go in belt pouches and fill with distilled drinking water. I have Lexan containers that are literally unbreakable, but light and compact. Get a first class water filter for drawing from natural sources of water. I have a Katadyn Pocket filter - but any good like First Need, PUR or the other better ones are fine. Read up and understand what the hazards are and how to use your filter, and what it's limitations are. Some filter everything but viruses, some will not eliminate certain cysts etc. Some require adding iodine or other chemical. Make sure you retain your water containers (whatever they are) when empty for refilling with your filter if needed.

4) First aid kit. Light - Bandages, gauze, tape etc for abrasions. Butterfly sutures for cuts, antiseptic wipes (alcohol) etc. A small kit from any good outdoor shop will probably be fine. I would add some aspirin or other preferred pain reliever, and an antibiotic (broadspectrum for bad infections including tooth absesses) tetracycline, Amoxycillin or the like - see your doctor for a prescription (tell him where you are going/what it's for).

5) Priority - Sun protection: light broadbrim hat, good polarized sunglasses, cotton bandana for the neck if needed. Safety strap for your sunglasses so you don't lose them and hard case for packing/pocket for protection. A cheap spare sunglass that will also protect your eyes from UV and flying stones etc are the Silencio wrap-type shooting glasses. These are about $10 in my neck of the woods. *** Redundant spares on a trip like this might avert some misery in the event of a mishap - or alternately a mishap suffered by someone else in your party if travelling in a group ***.

6) I always carry a knife of some sort - usually a Swiss Victorinox or Wenger type with a few gadgets on it - and a belt knife. In that area you might at least take a pocket kife with you. Make sure it is sharp. Flashlight.. get one of the good LED headlights (Petzl or the like) that runs on AA batteries. A headlight keeps your hands free, can be donned for walking in the dark if needed. Try and take a few lithium AA batteries along as they will last, and spares are less likely. A small penlight is good for rooting in the pack or other odd tasks. Compact binoculars of at least 7X. These are very handy. Good value for money are the Bushnell or Pentax or Minolta. Olympus make some too. Area USGS Map & compass (know how to use them) if you are not on a "guided tour" with an experienced outdoor outfitter/guide service. Toothbrush, toothpicks (handy when you need them), matches and *toilet paper*.

7) Some hard candy perhaps (personal preference), beef jerky, dried fruit, nuts etc. If it turns out hot and you perspire much you'll want to have something salty along - salted peanuts or the like.

8) Lightweight sleeping bag and foam mat. Second item is essential to a good nights sleep whether it is warm or cold out. Best is the self-inflating kind. But the blown closed-cell foam will do and is lighter. Sleeping bag should be comfort-rated down to at least the coldest expected nightime temperature. Pay more for less weight. It is worth the money.

8) Good day or weekend pack. Get all your gear together and check for volume total before shopping for pack. Get a lightweight but well-made pack from a good outdoor shop - sleeping bag can be attached to top of pack - maybe underneath if necessary. Make sure you have a belt to hang water bottles etc on if your pack lacks a hip belt. But hipbelts are highly recommended as they stabilize the pack, eliminate swinging and hence greatly reduce fatigue(!)

Lastly ... Everyone has their own preferences on clothing .... But I would pack a wind and waterproof lightweight outer clothing layer. I like genuine cotton Ventile fabric (THE best) if you can find it (very difficult these days) and afford it. Otherwise lightweight waxed cotton (a bit heavy even in the lighter weights - but it *breathes*) or coated nylon (cheap, light but you'll get condensation). Fleece type jacket or pure wool sweater in addition to a pair of lightweight wool pants. Fleece pants work too. I prefer light cotton shirt, shorts or lightweight cotton slacks for general wear. Good socks (!!!) to go with your good boots - I like Thorlo; pricey, but great socks. (Your feet will refrain from cursing you for all this). Gloves; you might consider a lightweight pair to protect your hands when scrambling - I like the light leather goatskin type.

Camera gear (I knew there was something else!)... I would go with one body, a wide angle and a long (85mm or more) - or a short tele zoom (35-70mm). Polarizing filter, perhaps yellow and orange or red filter for B&W. Take a small point & shoot or other small "rangefinder" as a spare camera. *Spare batteries*. Lots of film - I would pack Velvia or the Agfa 50 ASA slide film equivalent, some slow B&W. Table tripod - I have used these in all kinds of places. They provide a stable base on top of a boulder, ledge, flat ground, you name it. Doesn't take up much room either. Monopod is good too and doubles as walking stick which will be very handy walking up and down steep ground. Large ziplock bags with silica gel canisters for moisture protection. Pad out gear in pack to protect from slips and falls.

That's not everything, but a start. Practice: find the longest staircases you can find if you live in the city (Eifel Tower has some long streches ;) ) or take hikes up the steepest and highest local hills you can find. You will need to be in shape for this - as some have pointed out. When ascending - pace yourself. Slow, steady pace with regular stops (timed) for breathers. Descending don't try and go too fast - a slip can be deadly - or at least a disaster - on steep/high ground when going downhill.

I envy you :) Have a good trip when it comes around. And good shooting!

Lee