Re: [OM] published!

Subject: Re: [OM] published!
From: Benson Russell <snapper@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 16:28:17 +0100
Just thought you might be interested - I have a monthly 4 page slot (text
and photos) with a UK woodworking magazine, and what I sell is '1st UK
serial rights' ie that mag has the right to publish first in the UK, and
that's it. I can try to get another UK mag to take it as 'second UK serial
rights', or try the US, for example as a completely new deal.

The magazine wanted '1st world rights', so that they could keep using the
material ad lib, but what they offered wasn't realistic for that and I held
my ground. It was no big problem at all, they wanted the material, and were
just chancing it! It could be a little different in the US.

Same deal with my wife's garden articles, but some (just some) of the
photography gets used in several different articles. And it can be the ost
unlikely shots! Once you start getting published, the trick, I'm told, is to
sell the same stuff as many times as you can. Re-write, use different photos
(take different views at the time with this in mind) or be honest with the
editor about previous publication.

A magazine will not worry about non commercial exposure of photos, unless
it's the whole article on a website or something simillar that will de-value
their publication.

Now, I'm getting carried away - should be worrying about the wedding..

Ben Russell