Re: [OM] New Digital OM compatible system coming!?

Subject: Re: [OM] New Digital OM compatible system coming!?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:59:15 -0700
 Stuart wrote:

Can Olympus succeed in encouraging enough other manufacturer's to
make interchangeable lenses compatible with the new Oly digital
camera?  If there becomes enough variety of the new lenses, maybe
other manufacturer's will choose to or have to follow suit and offer
digital bodies that can use the new "Digi-Zuik" lenses?

Asking other manufacturers for help in developing lenses for their
mount and by implication adopting the Olympus digital mount as a
standard seems arrogant in the extreme, or pathetic depending on your
point of view.  If there is not already an agreed upon industry
standard for a digital mount it seems doomed to me.  Either Olympus
will have to develop its own lenses and hope to sell enough to make
it profitable or try to sell enough of a limited system to recoup
their costs and try something else.  Canon and Nikon at least realize
there is some money in selling a lot of bodies to current owners of
their systems.

I do not really understand sensor nomenclature. Is the 4/3" CCD that
different in size from a 24x36 CCD?  If it made a big difference in
the effective focal length of my OM lenses I don't think I would be
interested in an adaptor.

It does seem to me that the marketing a new system which allows the
use of the older system lenses, but with the added incentive of new
improved digital optimized lenses would work very well.  I fear Oly
is going to miss the mark, unless a lot of people jump on to a
compact pro digital system with a limited range of lenses.  If so
maybe Oly can expand it but I am afraid they no longer have the
mentality to produce a pro system with its lack of quick profit
return.

--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California