Re: [OM] RE: cross point screws

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: cross point screws
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 16:08:22 -0700
on 8/21/02 10:10 PM, Mike at watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> .....Cross-point screws are *different* than Phillips screws!....
>>
> Here in the US I keep 3 basic types of + point screw drivers in my box
> (and I hate them all). The ubiquitous "philips", "Reed & Prince" mostly
> found in ship yards, and "posi-drive" kind of like a metric philips used
> in Euro style cabinet hardware and distinguished by little hash marks
> between the + arms like this * . So where does the "cross-point" fit
> into this picture. Is it an entirerly different standard? Will I have to
> learn to curse another type of + point? Didn't these engineers ever hear
> of Robertson or torx or hex head?
>
> mike
> --
> Latitude 48° 32' North, Longitude 123° 7' West

I'm not sure if they are related, but there is also a "JIS" standard, which
is what was used for those crummy 'philips' screws in 1970's Japanese
motorcycles. If the crosspoint used in cameras is the smallest end of that I
don't know...

FWIW, I replace those lousy JIS screws right away with stainless steel
allen-head socket cap screws. Too bad they don't make those small enough for
cameras...
--

Jim Brokaw