Re: [OM] Herbert Keppler speaks out

Subject: Re: [OM] Herbert Keppler speaks out
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 14:57:19 +0800
I agree with you on the profit that can gain with a camera system, the
body is just a small part. But for the flash, old TTL is hard to work
with a CCD sensor. It need a completely new flash control technique,
like the E10/20 case, a preflash is made every time you trigger the
shutter, after evaluating the light intensity that reach the CCD a
signal is sent to the flash to command for proper power. Unlike the
TTL flash in the OM system where a flash cut off signal is sent after
proper light energy is reached.

C.H.Ling

"John A. Lind" wrote:

> I believe if you both look at the revenue stream you'll find  the real
> money (i.e. revenue and profit) for a camera _system_ is not in the camera
> body.  It's in all the system stuff sold to bolt onto the camera body.  Why
> do you think the flashes for the Olympus digitals are not "T" type flash
> units, backward compatible with the OM-4T and OM-3ti?
>
> IMO the business model is creating a body with proprietary lens mount and
> dedicated flash connection (for TTL control).  All other connections,
> mechanical or electrical are also proprietary, including things as simple
> as eyecups.  This channels the camera body purchaser toward their
> accessories.

<snip>