Re: [OM] New Digital OM nostalgia?

Subject: Re: [OM] New Digital OM nostalgia?
From: plp@xxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 15:21:58 GMT
Cc:
>> This camera will be announced on September 24.  Does anyone
>> honestly believe that Olympus has the resources to create
>> more than one new camera at a time?
>
>One???? I think every large DC manufacturer has more than 5
>design in processing at the same time. See how many models
>Olympus introduced in these three years.

Oops, bad choice of words.  Substitute "announce" or "release"
for "create" in my sentence above.  Yes, of course, companies
are working on multiple releases of products at any one time.
But to release a product involves a lot of testing, some lying
in print (uh, marketing announcements & press releases), parts
pre-production, ordering system updates, training for techs and
support personnel, white papers, etc.  A company only has a
limited number of workers in each department.  Note that Nikon
does not release both their pro digital camera (D1/D1X) and
their semi-pro digital camera (D100) at the same time, even
though it causes confusion for the people that sell them [what
do you mean, the D1/D1X has LESS megapixels than the D100 ????].

Pete