Re: [OM] Hiking Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Hiking Advice
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 14:00:40 -0700 (PDT)
>Isle Royale...  First thing that came to mind (after the wave
>of jealousy) was mosquitoes...

Yup.  Hence the reason why we're doing this in September. Too
bad you can't train some of those flys to carry the backpack.
They're big enough to do the job.  They've got dragonflys bigger
than Piper Cubs. You dive for cover when they fly over your
head.

>I would want the ORIGINAL mosquito repellant, DEET.  No
>woosie organic substitute, but the original, brain damage risk
>and all.

Yup, rubber and plastic eating DEET.  The focus rings on the
lenses will never be the same again.  Sometimes, chemical
warfare is the only way to go, though.

>Isle Royale.  Wolves and moose!  I would be laying awake at
>night, watching the stars (and hopefully auroras), listening
>for all I was worth, just to hear one howl.

Ah, yes. The sounds of the northwoods at night.  Nothing,
absolutely NOTHING like it. Those apartment dweller on wheel
people with their air-conditioners and satellite TV have no
clue.  Let them live in ignorance--they shoot wonderbricks
anyway.

>Please let us know which AG-nose lenses you'll be taking. and
>why.

Still deciding.  Pack weight will determine photo gear.  We are
targeting 35 pounds each.  I have a feeling that the 200/4 will
be the loser.  I'm guessing right now that it's going to be the
24/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/3.5 and 100/2.8.  Cameras will be the OM-2S,
OM-4 and XA.  Provia-F loaded in the OM-2S, Delta 100 in the
OM-4 and Delta 400 in the XA.  One monopod which doubles as my
"adjustable walking stick" and my small backpacking tripod.  Oh,
filters include: Polorizer, red, orange and yellow.  Still
looking for an el-cheepo pocket flash so I don't have to lug my
big Vivitar.

Were contemplating departure on Sunday morning for Windigo and
we'll hike towards the east half via Greenstone Ridge. We'll
hike back a different route, or worse-case, we'll grab the ferry
at Daisy Farm or Rock harbor.  Sunday through Friday is our
expected duration--with Saturday return being our backup time.

We both have strong legs and are pretty swift hikers.  We've
been known to do 15 miles by lunch.  Don't worry, we'll plan for
five.

I suppose that we'll be taking a few pictures along the way.

AG-Schnozz