RE: [OM] Suggestions: B&W film for family/garden shots

Subject: RE: [OM] Suggestions: B&W film for family/garden shots
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 21:46:18 +1000
Phil wrote:

> I would like some suggestions for B&W film for a couple of rolls of
> family shots in the garden (Sydney - winter but clear & sunny).
>
> I was thinking of using the OM2SP with Program mode for the quick
> candid shots and the OM4 for the more setup shots.
>
> It would be late afternoon, with no direct sun but maybe with some
> flash for front lighting?

Unless you're really in to B&W and want to process it yourself etc., I would
go for one of the B&W C41 films (Ilford XP-2, Koday T400CN, Select B+W, ..).
Just get it processed wherever you would go for C41 colour.

Program Mode, I wouldn't bother, just set a reasonable aperature and auto,
you probably want a reasonably wide aperature to limit your depth of field
(f2.8 ?).

Those films have good over exposure latitude, so I might set the ASA dial to
200.

I also wouldn't bother about flash, if you're shooting against the light
(good idea), just set +2 stops exp comp.

...Wayne