Re: [OM] Hiking Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Hiking Advice
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 08:56:11 -0700
> >I would want the ORIGINAL mosquito repellant, DEET.  No
> >woosie organic substitute, but the original, brain damage risk
> >and all.
>
> Yup, rubber and plastic eating DEET.  The focus rings on the
> lenses will never be the same again.  Sometimes, chemical
> warfare is the only way to go, though.

A new repellent that is at least as effective as DEET or better has been
developed by researchers from the east coast (Virginia??). Through the
fog in my memory I seem to remember that it was derived from tomatoes.
Anyway it is nontoxic. It has been licensed by the school and is
scheduled for commercial release in time for next year's bug season. The
brand name was stated in the article but is lost in the fog. I'll see if
I can find the article. (Science News if there are any other subscribers
out there) Anyway don't buy more DEET than you can use this season.

Mike
--
Latitude 48° 32' North, Longitude 123° 7' West