RE: [OM] Hiking Advice

Subject: RE: [OM] Hiking Advice
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 05:14:03 -0500
Cotton Ventile is an exceptionally tightweave and lightweight fabric. The genuine article is indeed waterproof in the sense that it prevents the ingress of water, and dries quickly. It was used for many years to make some speciality garments for the British military and others. But it is intended as a shell layer and in cold wet conditions does not insulate. It is windproof as well. In dry cold/wind it is excellent - quiet and comfortable.

Waxed cotton - as made by such companies as Barbour etc - is much lighter than waxed canvas and does breath. Many of these garments are lined too. As a bonus this fabric is very thornproof as well. The only synthetics worth considering are the breathable type; and in this regard some work very well, and some don't. Goretex is the only stuff I have tried that works although there are no doubt others.

I have been out in temperatures down to minus 60 degrees - and up on mountains on ice with the wind howling so hard it was difficult to stay planted on the ground. It can be deadly - but the real killer is probably wet and windy weather when the temperature runs just above (or around) freezing to about 50 degrees Fahrenheit. This kind of weather might kill more people in summertime in mountains than perhaps the Alps, Himalayas and Rockies in winter put together. The reason is that people get caught out in sport shoes, jeans and t/sweatshirts etc.

My own preference is the natural fibres; cotton (Ventile), wool etc. But I have used synthetics that were very good - just noisy, uncomfortable and some produced moderate to heavy consensation. They also are not very hard wearing in the longterm. As everything else - you generally get what you pay for.

Cheers,
Lee