Re: [OM] Colors of Cameras and Lenses (Was Wow! 2 350/2.8 at once!)

Subject: Re: [OM] Colors of Cameras and Lenses (Was Wow! 2 350/2.8 at once!)
From: Ed Senior <newshawk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 11:18:49 -0400
Remember, Winsor, I'm talking about back in the '50s and '60s, when black cameras were a rarity and the vast majority of consumer cameras were a brushed silver color. Also, I tied the idea of unobtrusiveness to war zones, where a sniper or other rifleman would often take aim at sunlight glinting off metal, assuming that it was an officer's insignia. Having a silver colored camera in a situation like that would be suicide. As for the "macho" factor, I would imagine that would go hand-in-hand with black cameras being associated with war photographers. And about people noticing silver colored cameras less now, I'd say that the reason for that is that the silver/black ratio has been flipped so that the silver cameras are the rarer ones now... at least among new cameras being sold today.

Ed Senior

Winsor Crosby wrote:

Actually, for a very long time, most consumer cameras were silver. Black cameras were hard to come by (only a few manufacturers made them) and were mostly used by photojournalists. They preferred them because they were unobtrusive... they didn't call as much attention to the photographer as chrome bodies did. This was especially true in war zones. However, Viet Nam brought the image of war correspondent pjs with their black Nikons into homes all over America and a mystique was born. However, your estimate of 99% black cameras is a bit off, I'd say... I still think the majority of cameras are silver colored.

Ed Senior

I have heard the unobtrusive explanation before, but I have never bought it. My eye is drawn to an all black camera more than a silver or gold camera. Today, I have even seen advice that taking pictures with photography shy people is more successful with a non-black camera which is seen as pro or a reporter. People don't notice "amateur" colors as much. I think it is all fashion and image.