Re: [OM] Filter recommendations for a newbie

Subject: Re: [OM] Filter recommendations for a newbie
From: derek fong <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 14:37:16 -0400
On 08.26.2002 9:56 am, "Jez.Cunningham@xxxxxxxxxx"
<Jez.Cunningham@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I hate to answer a question with a question, don't you?
> But it depends what sort of pictures you want to take?  And color or
> black/white?

I'm aiming to use filters with colour shots, although I often load my camera
with black and white film.  I tend not to take landscape photos; I usually
stick to either portraits or candid action shots, with a few still lifes
thrown in for good measure.  =)  It's for that reason that although Cokin
would be practical for my needs, I'm worried it might be too bulky to keep
around with me on those "everyday" outings.

> I've used the Cokin system for color landscape work because one of the
> frequent needs is to darken down the sky to bring the overall tonal range
> within the capability of the film (and leave some details in the sky).
> This needs a graduated (typically grey) filter which needs to be
> rectangular and with the possibility to slide it up and down according to
> where you place the horizon.  The people who 'taught' me recommend Lee
> filters, but they're not cheap.

Thanks for the tip.  However, being a cheapskate myself, I'm looking to get
some filters that are relatively inexpensive, but high enough in terms of
quality.  Which actually brings me to another question...

Aside from vignetting and obvious build problems (e.g., cheap plastic), what
differentiates, say, a Lee filter from a Heliopan filter from a Cokin system
filter?  In terms of the finished picture, what sort of differences would I
be noticing?  Or are the differences purely in the way the filters fit,
endure, cost, etc.?

-f

--
Derek Fong
Web Application Developer

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." --James Joyce