Re: [OM] Filter recommendations for a newbie

Subject: Re: [OM] Filter recommendations for a newbie
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 21:14:24 +0200
>Anyhow, I'm looking for what sorts of filters and brands you might recommend
>to a newbie on the subject.

There's a lot of good brands: B+W, Heliopan, Hoya, Tiffen... However, try
to get the multi-coated versions -- it does make a difference.

On the other hand, long teles (300mm and up) are *very* sensitive to
filter's quality. Maybe a top-class one won't affect, but try to avoid
filters on these lenses whenever possible.

>I've determined I want to start with a
>polariser and build my "library" from there.

Seems OK to me. A gray graduated density filter would be my second choice.
Also, if you shoot black & white film, a yellow or light green filter is a
nice thing.

For colour (esp. slide) film, a KR6 or 81EF corrects the bluish tones found
at open shadows. You may also want to get a KB12 or 80A for domestic bulbs
lighting, and an FL-D for fluorescent tubes.

>The catch is that I'd like to
>be able to use the filters on both my OM-2 Zuiko lenses (which are a 28/2.8
>and a 50/1.8) AND the Nikon lens (which has a 46mm mount).

I think the best way is to buy 49mm filters (suitable for both Zuiko
lenses) and use a 46->49mm adapter ring (really inexpensive) to put them on
the Nikon. However, make sure that the filter thread on the Nikon *never*
gets "buried" inside the lens barrel.

>A sales guy at
>the local camera store suggested the Cokin filter system.  What are its
>drawbacks besides its bulk?

I had the Cokin system, and it's a real hassle >:-(. Also, the coupling
rings used won't let you place the lens cap, hood, or any other threaded
accessory. Optical quality of Cokin filters is somewhat poor, too.

>Oh, and is there any harm in using a circular polariser with my OM-2 since
>the Nikon (with auto-focus) requires it?

No, no harm at all -- only for the wallet ;-). By the way, if you ever get
an OM-2S, OM-3 or OM-4, they *need* circular polarisers, too.

Speaking of polarisers, they usually have thick rings, and may cause
vignetting with wide angles like your 28mm. Try to get the 'slim' type.

My two euro-cents...

Carlos Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<cjsantis@xxxxxxxx>