Re: [OM] Hiking Advice -- silk underwear

Subject: Re: [OM] Hiking Advice -- silk underwear
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 06:46:51 +0100
Cc: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Lee is right.  When it comes to layering, it is important to have a
comfortable and absorbent material next to your skin, thin enough to
allow more layers.  When I fly in winter, I wear cotton longjohns
under a flying suit under over suit.  When I used to fly over the sea
in winter (halcyon days!) I wore cotton, inner immersion suit
(ventile fabric with neoprene wrist and neck seals and a strange sort
of sock attached), nomex flying suit plus g-suit and over jacket.
Sometimes we wore woollen all-on-one suits over the cotton underwear,
underneath the immersion suit.  Whenever I had to go on a survival
exercise, this was the gear that I used to stay in the game.

By the way, I am not sure how those who have used it can stand
man-made fibres next to the skin in sweaty conditions.  Nylon does
not absorb sweat and you can get "trench foot" when you sweat into
tight,  nylon garments ... not to mention the conduciveness to fungus
in the nether regions.

Chris