[OM] Re: OM calendar work

Subject: [OM] Re: OM calendar work
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 16:23:41 -0700
 >From: "Bolty"

That's one fine shot. I am surprised that they use shots from 35mm film. I
always thought they would only use med format for calendar publications.

That's where Velvia really shines (regardless of what that doofus "grumpy"
says on his web site - to see what I mean, do a google search on "grumpy"
and "photo").  Velvia is a truly wonderful film for railroad photography -
great color and enlarging to calendar proportions yields no visible grain.
This pretty much eliminates the need for MF, although we have both a Mamiya
and a Contax AF available.  They just don't work well for rr photography as
the lenses are slower and you can't get 5 frames per second out of them.
And they don't say "OLYMPUS" on the top cover.

The calendar company has used some 4x5 images from time to time, but
chasing trains with a 4x5 is not for the faint of heart!  My brother has
the knowledge and skill (and equipment) to pull it off, but 990f the
stuff is shot with OM's on Velvia.  With FAST lenses.

Steve Troy

Velvia was designed as a print reproduction print with an extra layer
that makes the blacks really black.  The rest of us are just lucky I
guess.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California