[OM] Re: "Bad Picture" Error Message in E-20( Long)

Subject: [OM] Re: "Bad Picture" Error Message in E-20( Long)
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 16:29:28 -0700
In a message dated 8/27/2002 Dave Dougherty writes:

<< When I got home I attempted to upload the images from the first card to
my
PC via a Memorex card reader.  I got an error message on the PC and it would
not allow an upload.  I put the card back in the camera and got the message
"BAD PICTURE".  All frames as numbered by the camera indicated that message.
I could not "Delete" the frames and it was necessary to "Format" the card to
restore it to a useful state.

The second card uploaded fine.  I have since tried out the first card and it
too works fine.

Any ideas as to what might have happened? >>

I have not had this happen personally, but hear tell it can and does happen.
SM cards are known to suffer from strange things (I know of photographers
who refuse to use them), but CF cards tend to be quite reliable most of the
time.

I believe it is normally related to allowing Windows to format, or otherwise
update, the memory card on the previous batch prior to this use. This does
not seem to be a just Olympus thing either. I have heard of this happening
to users of various digital cameras and typically the computer OS is the
suspected root of the problem.

If the images are important, do not reformat, erase, etc. the card until you
attempt data recovery.

Here's a web site that may be of help next time (hopefully there will be no
"next time") this happens:
http://home.arcor.de/christian_grau/dir/index.html

Things I have heard should be done to prevent this from occurring include:

Never, ever, do anything with your memory cards when mounted by a computer
except *copy* files from the cards to your hard drive. Absolutely do not
ever delete or move files, or format your cards with the computer.

If using a Macintosh, always be sure to dismount the card (drag to trash or
use eject). On Windows this is not a required step. Some versions of Windows
may try to write thumbnails back to your cards when reading them. Make sure
that option is always disabled.

If you're really paranoid, take the extra little bit of time to format the
card *with your camera* prior to use. The erase command doesn't remove
anything except the image files themselves, format cleans the card of all
the debris computers like to leave behind.

Another possibility is file corruption from sudden battery voltage drop
while still writing to the card (i.e. changing batteries while the little
red light was still blinking). Microdrives are especially vulnerable to
this.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com