Re: [OM] cross point screws follow up

Subject: Re: [OM] cross point screws follow up
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 21:27:03 -0400
At 6:21 AM +0000 8/27/02, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 21:01:02 -0700
>From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] cross point screws follow up
>
>I think you'll find that most 'Phillips' screwdrivers in
>non-professional sets from Japan are actually cross-points. Certainly I
>have some that are mislabeled in that way.

The smaller Phillips patterns are cross-points; only #2 and bigger have the
rounded gullies on the screwdriver tip.  (The large cross-point used on wood
furniture is Reed-Prince, which is often mistaken for Phillips.)

>Moose
>
>Mike wrote:
>
> >Well, I pulled out my set of small screw drivers (MIJ) and low and
> >behold upon close examination they are definitely different from
> >philips. The #0 philips and the #1 from my mini set are about the same
> >size but the angle of the tip is different and the point of the philips
> >is sharper. Damn! So i do indeed have another screw driver pattern to
> >curse. Seriously, the #0 from the mini set is the one I use on cameras
> >and so far I haven't had to curse it.

I use Wiha series 261 screwdrivers.  They are made of very good steel, with
very accurately formed tips.  These screwdrivers fit tightly in the screws on
Olympus equipment, so screwslot mangling is less likely.  Use of a good
screwdriver make a world of difference.  These screwdrivers cost US $3.50 to
$4.50 apiece if bought singly.

#1   -- "Wiha 261/PH 1x60"
#0   -- "Wiha 261/PH 0x50"
#00 -- "Wiha 261/PH 00x40"
#000 -- "Wiha 261/PH 000x40"

Slotted metric (series 260) and tiny Torx (series 267) are also available.

Sears Craftsman "Professional" (stock number 41551 et seq) Torx screwdrivers
closely resemble Wiha.  These are the larger sizes, T6 being the smallest
Craftsman size.

These screwdrivers are available singly and in sets, from electronics supply
houses, by mail order.  I would get a set, to avoid being stopped by a missing
size.  Local hardware stores are quite unlikely to have any such thing.

Joe Gwinn