Re: [OM] [OD] What are we expecting?

Subject: Re: [OM] [OD] What are we expecting?
From: Bill Stanke <bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 10:40:25 -0700
Mike:

This has been an interesting thread for me.  I am interested in digital,
but relatively clueless about what I would want in a camera.

It's difficult for a non-digital user like myself to even *know* or
*dream-up* what I would like to see in a DSLR.

I would have some clue with trailing edge technology, such as guns,
pickup trucks and even (film-based) SLRs.  I can sort of (almost) get by
with computer gear.  But its difficult to even know if a given
specification is a "bug" or a "feature". For instance, is automatic
white balance a good thing, or a bad thing? I dunno.

The Nikon 5700 looks pretty cool to me.  I wondered if the LCD
viewfinder would be the wave of the future, or if it would be like the
old Canon SLRs with the fixed Pellicle mirror.  Interesting, but not
mainstream.

I would like to see a way that the "chip" is protected from dust, etc.
when the lens is removed.  I could see over zeleaous "cleaning" of the
CCD could ruin it in short order, something like amateur's cleaning the
mirror.

I am hoping that Olympus will come out with a DWIM (Do What I Mean)
model.

Bill Stanke