Re: [OM] cross point screws follow up

Subject: Re: [OM] cross point screws follow up
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:54:11 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 10:45, Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The smaller Phillips patterns are cross-points; only #2 and bigger
>have the rounded gullies on the screwdriver tip.
>>
>This is not my experience after a close look at my #0 philips and #1
>cross point under a magnifier. They definitely each have a unique
>profile. I wouldn't use anything labeled "philips" on my camera

>> ...The large cross-point used on
>> wood furniture is Reed-Prince, which is often mistaken for Phillips...

>True enough for old furniture but mostly used on the hardware rather
>than the connections. And trying to force a philips into a R&P will
>strip the screw head. BTDT

OK, now this thread is really getting me curious.  So last night,
I took out my set of "precision screw drivers" -- suitable for
cameras, watch, jewelry, ... etc. and tried the Phillips #0 on the
bottom 4 screws of my OM-1.  The screw driver fit the head of the
screw perfectly!  There is enough of a "point" in the screw head
slots that the pointed screw driver fitted in it with no problems.
It was a very snug fit and I was able to loosen the screws with
ease.  I then tried it on my OM-2n and it was the same.

After the initial explanation, I was under the impression that the
"cross-point" screws have a more flat slot than the Phillips heads,
but now I am not so sure.  So can someone explain the difference
between the "cross-point" and Phillips again?  Or better yet, can
someone post some (macro) pictures of the two different screw
drivers?  Thanks.