Re: [OM] Bad processing of film driving people to digital?

Subject: Re: [OM] Bad processing of film driving people to digital?
From: plp@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 22:58:46 GMT
Cc:
>>In a recent Sydney newspaper an article on digital cameras
>>pointed out that the days of archived family photographs may
>>well be numbered. With galloping technology it could be too
>>difficult for the average consumer to keep up with changing
>>storage methodologies and unless hard copy is made and kept
>
>Yes, you must keep up with the times and copy your archives
>religiously [<- I am not using that word lightly] every time
>a new [OPEN] standard pops up or a new media takes dominance

You have fallen into the same trap that computer geeks do.  Those
geeks assume that, because they understand computers, everyone
does.  This is simply not true.  Many people will not keep up
with technology and will eventually end up with images they cannot
view.  One could assume that businesses might appear to convert
old image formats into current formats, but eventually even those
businesses would disappear.  How many of you now own 8-track tapes
and the associated equipment to play them?  What percentage of PC
users even make regular backups?

Pete