Re: [OM] Maui/Haleakala advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Maui/Haleakala advice
From: "Gary Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 22:33:08 -0500
VITAL WARNING FOLLOWS!!

Car theft is rampant.  Thieves tried to break into my Hertz rental but were
frightened off by a passing motorist honking at them.  Usual method is to
break in through the passenger window, open the glove box and punch the
trunk release.  If they had gotten that far they would have taken my camera
bag (I was down the cliff with one camera and one lens).  We were later told
that such theft is epidemic.  Cost us a bit for the damage to the door but I
didn't loose the OM gear.  Take your camera bag with you at all times and
keep the strap over your shoulder (don't set it down when there are people
around)!  I now always disable remote trunk releases on rent cars (unplug
the electrical cord at the lock servo).

Beyond that, it is beautiful.  Good choice of lenses, I think.  I feel that
it is definitely Provia country.  Oh, you should take the macro - flowers!
Sunrise from the top of the volcano is cold and worth it.  Horseback trip
down into the caldera is great (Tex, our guide was from Waco) as is the helo
tour (though the safety of some operators is questioned, the one we chose
had new Aerospatiales and our pilot impressed me with his caution - I'm a
pilot and critical.)  It was about 5 years ago, but the road to Hana and
around that end of the island was easily passable in our rent car (despite
the threatening signage) and worth the trip.  Watch for waterfalls, swimming
holes, and rushing streams.  You can see a great many more waterfalls from
the helicopter.  If you go, be sure to use your body to isolate the camera
from the airframe vibration and use relativley high shutter speeds (you can
get a way with larger apertures simnce most images will be at infinity
focus.)

Have a great trip,
Gary Edwards