RE: [OM] OT Hiking Advice -- silk underwear

Subject: RE: [OM] OT Hiking Advice -- silk underwear
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:53:05 -0700
> So we're full of it huh?  Cotton is fine for couch potatoes who can step in
> the other room and change if it gets wet. Cotton is the worst thing you can
> wear next to the skin if you are performing high exertion tasks in cold
> weather because it retains moisture and does not wick it away from your
> body.....

Jim, Don't take it so personal. I just meant that the dangers of wearing
cotton clothing in the back country IMO is highly exaggerated. I'm tired
of people saying I'm going to die if I wear cotton in the backcountry.
After all, people wore it for years before synthetics were available.
Don't get me wrong, I don't suggest Levis and a cotton tee shirt. But
for me the great discomfort of the so-called hitech fabrics next to my
skin far outweigh any benefit. I have nothing against the advances made
in outdoor clothing. For example I like the duofold cotton-wool layered
3 button top with a fleece shirt over it. I find that the wicking
properties of the fleece tend to keep the under shirt dry just as it
would your skin. And most outdoor activities are at a moderate activity
level where moisture transpiration is not so critical. In fact my
experience in these conditions is that the wicking properties of the
synthetics act to remove the moisture _and_ with it the body heat it
contains actually cooling you down quite a bit. Hence the cold clammy
feeling. I find that Gortex is cooler for the same reason. This may be
good under high exertion but not in "normal" conditions. The natural
fibers retain a bit of moisture and the heat it contains.  Of course I
agree common sense is required and clothing should be appropriate to the
activity.

Mike
(reply off list if you like as we're getting a bit far afield)
--
Latitude 48° 32' North, Longitude 123° 7' West