RE: [OM] Travel Kits

Subject: RE: [OM] Travel Kits
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 22:17:19 +0200 (CEST)
On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, John Wheeler wrote:

> On Thursday, August 29, 2002 2:06 PM
> Henry Bottjer-BA wrote:
>
> "Fellow travelers,
>
> There seems to be a healthy, ongoing discussion (over many threads) about
> traveling and gear - what to bring, what film to shoot, and recently even
> what clothes to wear (hey, if it works go with silk underwear!).  However,

I am not sure how silk underwear popped into this thread...I am not sure I
want to know either....

> never much talk about the cases, bags and other items used to transport the
> gear.  What's the experience with this?  Do most people just take a soft-bag
> as a carryon, use a hard case (e.g., Pelican) and pack their soft bag, or
> what?  I've generally just taken either my small bag or knapsack style, but
> neither would not hold enough gear for a dedicated photo trip.
>
> Inquiring minds want to know."

Since I usually travel on business, and not so much for fun any more, I
have a fairly hard set of requirements to mytravels. I.e. I am required to
carry a laptop and related stuff, and I usually have some work to do while
in-flight as well. With the recent paranoia-restrictions on carry-on's, I
cannot bring both a carry-on with the work-stuff and the soft bag with
camera gear any more :(

My solution has been to buy a trolly, of maximum carry-on size, and some
large pieces of the foam that is being sold for Watercases (meant for
photography). I have cut that foam to divide my trolly into compartments -
two, which hold two camera bodies with moderately-sized lenses, one
general compartment (for more lenses, mobile phone etc.) and on top of all
that, space for the laptop. This leaves the front pocket for papers etc.,
and is suitable for my travelling. It still fits in the overhead
compartments and under the seats - often much to the flight-attendants
surprise (especially in the small Canadair jets).

It's a working prototype, and I am improving and adopting this
continously to improve the space utilization. But it works.

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering

  E-Mail: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx