RE: [OM] Bad Processing Driving People to Digital

Subject: RE: [OM] Bad Processing Driving People to Digital
From: "John Wheeler" <wheelej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:21:08 +1000

On Friday, August 30, 2002 10:35 AM
Subject: [OM] Bad Processing Driving People to Digital
Rich wrote:

"Punched paper tape... hmmm.  I used a program back in the early 70's that
required all the data be entered manually on punch cards.  Remember those?
That was the height of "geek" then.

I wasn't a computer geek then, am not a computer geek now, and never will be
a computer geek.  And the archival issues of digital images, looking ahead,
with all the churning of technology, just seem to be to be a major pain in
the a......

We have old b&w photos of  great grandparents, great aunts & uncles, both
sides of the family.  From them to the newest grandchildren in the family
spans six generations.  That's a long time for today's CDs to be
manufactured, let alone stored -- dust, heat, and electromagnetic
influence-free.  The old prints in an album seem so much more robust,
idiot-proof, and troublefree.

Rich"

Ah, a kindred spirit! At least when it comes to old b&w. A few weeks ago I
was at a niece's house up in North West NSW and spied a framed shot of her
at about eight months old. It was a 10X8 in a frame on her hallway wall. I'd
taken it back in the early fifties with a Rolleiflex (Tessar 75mm/f3.5 -
wish I still had it!). Printed on Agfa Brovira Crystal (?) there was no
apparent degradation.

I can well believe that the current use of CD's for archiving images is a
sound idea. But what happens in forty years time if we've failed to keep
transferring the data to each current storage device? I've a stack of
excellent jazz from the 30's and 40's on 78 rpm records a lot of which has
been transcribed to vinyl 33,1/3 but there's some gems which haven't.
Finding an appropriate turntable and pickup may not be impossible but it's
pretty damn difficult!

I'm besotted by technology but there's sometimes a downside.

John.