Re: [OM] In lieu of a digital OM back, a 35mm scanner?; Linux

Subject: Re: [OM] In lieu of a digital OM back, a 35mm scanner?; Linux
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 12:07:00 +0100
Would recommend strongly against this one. Jessops in the UK do a badged version of this, and when I bought it, the first one was damaged when I opened the box. I got it replaced, but the second one was just awful - intolerable noise in the shadows, woeful performeance on underexposed slides. I thought that might be a duff unit as well so I exchanged it again, but the third one was just the same.

My recommendation is spend a little bit extra to get an Acer Scanwit 2720S. I've been really delighted with mine. I've had it two years, though, so by now there may be other better options.

Roger

Philip Rhoades wrote:

Hi people,

While I am waiting for a digital back for my OMs . . I thought I would buy a digital 35mm scanner - the PrimeFilm 1800 looks like a good deal?

Any experience/suggestions?

Anyone here use Linux with photo software?

Thanks,

Phil.