Re: [OM] In lieu of a digital OM back, a 35mm scanner?; Linux

Subject: Re: [OM] In lieu of a digital OM back, a 35mm scanner?; Linux
From: Bill Rankin <wrankin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: 30 Aug 2002 13:35:10 -0400
Cc: Philip Rhoades <pri@xxxxxxxxxx>
------------------------------

Phil:

> While I am waiting for a digital back for my OMs . . I thought I would
> buy a digital 35mm scanner - the PrimeFilm 1800 looks like a good
> deal?

I am not familiar with that brand.  I would be sure to go poke around
photo.net and look at the reviews.

> Any experience/suggestions?

The first decision *I* had to make was flatbed vs. film scanner.  In the
end, I went and bought an Epson 2450 flatbed scanner.  It has a
slide/film attachment and can scan at 2400dpi.  I had a lot of old
family prints that I wanted to scan, so the flatbed was the way to go
for me.  It will not do slides as well as a good dedicated film scanner,
but does a passable job for on-screen images and small reprints.  It
will also scan medium format films.  If I want to make a large print
(11x17+) from a slide, I would go borrow my friends Nikon film scanner.

The biggest "wish I had gotten..." feature that I hear about is infrared
scan capability to be able to filter out dust specs from the image.

> Anyone here use Linux with photo software?

The basic open source scanning software that comes with many Linux
distributions is Xsane.  It seems to do a reasonable job.  Many people
rave about Vuescan ($40 shareware, http://www.hamrick.com/).  I have
purchased a copy and use it, but I can't say that I take advantage of a
lot of its advanced features (yet).

The biggest issue that I had with using Linux was getting USB support to
work.  It's not difficult but there are a few things you need to do.  Go
find the Linux USB FAQ for details.

Last thing:  http://www.scantips.com - great site.

Hope this helps,

-bill