Re: [OM] In lieu of a digital OM back, a 35mm scanner?; Linux

Subject: Re: [OM] In lieu of a digital OM back, a 35mm scanner?; Linux
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 21:38:42 +0100
If you want a film scanner with a higher resolution, try a secondhand
Minolta Dimage - Scan Dual or Scan Elite.  I have had both and have
part-exchanged them.

I now have a Canoscan FS4000 connected to my Mac by SCSI card.  It is
not fantastically fast, but I can let it scan 4 slides or 6 negs
while I do 2 stripes of the lawn with the mower, have a beer and a
cigar (small), peel the potatoes, check through a friend's
translation from Czech to English for a book, set up my tripod next
to another lovely flower (I am trying to get a good shot of a Dettora
(sp?)) or sit and read the instructions for Photoshop Elements v2.....

... and the Canon software is pretty good at colour matching so I
don't need Vuescan to sort out my negs' colour balance.

Chris

At 12:40 -0700 30/8/02, Andrew Beals wrote:
 > While I am waiting for a digital back for my OMs . . I thought I would
 buy a digital 35mm scanner - the PrimeFilm 1800 looks like a good
 deal?

I have one and it does a decent job under Windoze. I haven't tried it on other
platforms.  It provides decent scans and I got mine at a very good price
US$179, I think.

--
<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker